Sunday 8 January 2012

Upcycled sideboard



I bought a 1970's retro sideboard from someone on Gumtree a few months ago and I love it dearly. I have a real penchant for teak, retro, Danish style furniture. As much as I love it the way it is I've also fallen for


the upcycled painted effect that I've seen on some pieces online.



The fear is that I'll have a go, sand down my beloved sideboard and try some paint effects only to completely ruin it. I feel upcycling may be out of my crafting league and I'd be devastated if I spoiled it beyond repair.



The additional problem is that I live in a top floor flat above a commercial unit and have no outside space whatsoever. From some research I see that I'll probably need an orbital sander and some pretty potent primer that could cause problems if I were to start my project indoors. Additionally I can't decide what effect I would like. I could copy one that's tried and tested or be a bit more inventive. I love the stencilled style of the sideboards pictured but also the block colours.



I think some further research is required and perhaps a dummy piece of furniture to practice on first. But this will be a project for the summer, when I can aerate the spare room accordingly. I think this will be a long term craft so further updates to follow.



1 comment:

  1. aw man. The last picture is so flipping amazing. So much so I had to log back in just to check it out!

    ReplyDelete