Saturday 3 March 2012

Clay painting




My name's Jennifer and I'm a Groupon-aholic. And all other bargain voucher websites too. One recent voucher purchase was for a clay mug painting session at Aberdeen's Cafe O'Clay. http://www.cafeoclay.co.uk/


I know pottery painting places have been around for a good few years but it wasn't ever anything I considered doing until the voucher came up. So I talked a friend into going with me and we spent a rather pleasant rainy afternoon getting creative.

On arrival we had to pick a mug or cup from the small selection we were permitted to use with the voucher. Other items available to paint included plates, wine goblets and clay figures such as penguins, lizards and frogs varying in price from around £8 - £25. You would first pick your item from the selection, then go to the counter to order a drink or snack and let the staff know you're there. Then you take a seat at one of the work stations and get busy with the paints supplied on the table.

This particular clay painting cafe hosts children's parties and has an extensive play area out the back. They also host ladies nights where you can go along, drink wine and paint.

I can't say I'm particularly arty and have never been very good at painting, it might be an idea to have an idea in mind before you go. I opted for an I Love Techno mug. I thought something simple would be hard to get wrong. It was pretty tricky, trying to hold the mug in one hand and write with a paint pen in the other meant the writing was a bit wobbly. But all in all I'm pretty pleased with the end result as was my friend with hers. Once we'd finished painting our mugs we had to hand them in at the desk and pick them up a few days later once they'd been glazed.

So, I would recommend clay painting as a new craft to try. Although not cheap (our mugs would have been £16 each without the voucher) if you go with an idea in mind it's a pleasant way to spend an afternoon. It would be a good idea for a hen weekend activity too.

No comments:

Post a Comment